Senior Jordan Walkernetted a team-high 22 points, including 17 in the second half, to lead four players who scored double digits as the Morehead State men's hoops team held off UT Martin 85-77 Saturday at Johnson Arena.
The Eagles, who have still not lost to the Skyhawks at home since 2005-06, moved to 10-2 at home in 2019-20 and to 11-12 overall. The Eagles are also now 5-5 in the OVC. UTM slipped to 6-15 overall and 2-8 in the league.
Morehead State scored 52 points in the second half against UTM, a season-high for points in a half against Division I competition.
The Eagles shot 50 percent for the second consecutive game and also nailed 9-of-18 three-pointers. Senior guard Djimon Henson and freshman guard Ta'lon Cooper combined for 7-of-11 triples and both registered 14 points.
Morehead State is back on the road next week, starting with a Thursday night contest at SIUE at 8 p.m. ET.
- An 11-4 run keyed a first half rally for the Eagles. The Eagles trailed 26-19 with 6:00 minutes left, but a three-pointer by Henson gave his team a 31-30 lead with 1:57 left.
- MSU finished off the half leading 33-31.
- A three-pointer by UTM's Parker Stewart brought UTM to within 47-45 at the 13:38 mark of the final half, but the Eagles outscored the 'Hawks 14-4 over the next three minutes. Walker's layup at 10:01 pushed the Eagles ahead 59-51.
- Cooper's free toss at 5:21 gave MSU its largest cushion (68-58).
-On top of leading the team in points, Walker also grabbed a team-high seven rebounds.
- MSU shot 15-of-27 (57 percent) in the final half.
- Only four players scored for the visitors, but Stewart had 33 points
- Junior James Baker also dotted double figures with 10 points.
QUOTING COACH SPRADLIN
"This was a very different game than we had faced recently. That's the first time we had really gone against so much switching on defense. I thought our guys executed the game plan well."
"We worked to get really good shots. I am proud of our team today. There were a lot of fouls, but we did what we needed to to pick up the win."