Combining to shoot 11-of-21 from the floor and 5-of-8 from three, redshirt sophomore Lauren Carter and sophomore Ariel Kirkwood each poured in 17 points to lead Morehead State women's basketball against UT Martin Saturday.
Kirkwood tallied her 17 points behind a career-best shooting performance from behind the arc, draining a career-high three treys on the afternoon. Carter totaled her points off a career-high-tying six field goals, including a season-high-tying two three-pointers. She tallied 13 second-half points, helping Morehead State erase a 21-point second-half deficit.
The Eagles used a number of scoring flurries in the second half to erase the aforementioned deficit, but UT Martin ultimately answered the flurries with one final run of its own to exit with an 80-63 victory.
The win improved UT Martin to 7-3 on the season and 6-1 in Ohio Valley Conference play while dropping Morehead State to 5-9 on the year and 4-6 in conference play.
In addition to Carter and Kirkwood's hot shooting, Morehead State also benefitted from a season-best performance at the free throw line. The Eagles connected on 18-of-20 attempts at the charity stripe, posting a free-throw percentage of 90 percent.
On the glass, Morehead State had three players corral six or more boards as Gabby Crawfordled the group with seven rebounds. Adding six boards apiece were Carter and Kirkwood.
The Eagles return to action Thursday to open up a two-game road swing, opening the trip at Jacksonville State. The game tips at 5:30 p.m. ET and airs on ESPN+ and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Eagle Sports Network (MSUEagles.com and WIVY-96.3 FM).
- After falling down 9-5 in the front end of the first quarter, Morehead State went on a 6-0 run sparked by three straight trips to the paint, including a pair of layups by Ariel Kirkwood and Lauren Carter and a 2-for-2 trip to the free throw line for Ellie Jo Johnson.
- The two teams traded baskets to end the quarter with Kirkwood giving the Eagles a one-point advantage heading into the second quarter. She'd open the second quarter with a three-ball to extend the Morehead State lead to four.
- UT Martin regained the lead behind the strength of an 18-0 run, spanning five minutes in the second quarter. The Skyhawks did their work in the run in the paint, scoring 10 of the 18 points in the paint. Including the 18-0 run, UT Martin scored on 11 straight possessions in the second quarter.
- Falling down 21 in the third quarter, Morehead State erased the deficit behind a 15-2 run to cut the UT Martin lead to single digits into the latter minutes of the quarter. The run started with six points at the free throw line before the Eagles heated up from the floor, getting buckets from Tomiyah Alford, Gabby Crawford, and Carter.
- Morehead State once again cut the UT Martin lead to single digits, getting an 8-0 flurry in the fourth quarter, capped by a Tyler Moore trey to cut the advantage to five.
- The Skyhawks used a 7-0 run to close the game to ice the victory with Chelsey Perry scoring five of the seven UT Martin points in the run.
- Morehead State finished the game 18-of-20 from the free throw line, shooting 90 percent at the charity stripe. The game marked the best free throw percentage for the team this season.
- The Eagles also connected on 7-of-15 attempts from beyond the three-point arc, shooting 46.7 percent from long range. The percentage marked the team's best of the season and the third time this year the team had eclipsed 40 percent shooting from three.
- Hitting three treys against UT Martin, Ariel Kirkwood set a career-high for three-pointers made while the game marked the first time in her career she'd hit more than one three in a single game.